Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Day 1 - July 1st, 2014

доброе утро

Today I began the challenge of learning Russian in 30 days. Like I said in my previous post, I would likely stick with this one for much longer, since my new study program adds speaking and listening practice and a target of 1000 words by the end of the 30 days, so this "30 day language challenge" may end up being a 60, 90 or even 180 day challenge, since they say that a person must know 3000 words to be able to conduct just about every conversation in the language they could or would have in a normal day.

I started the day and had a few hiccups. For example, I forgot the Russian has a different alphabet, so I spent time learning it and then I spent a whole lot of time practicing reading it until I felt capable enough. I mean, I just kept sounding out words and reading them (without knowing their meaning) until I felt that I could recognize the characters. Some of the letters, like ж and у kept throwing me off because I kept thinking in terms of NON RUSSIAN, which was obviously a rookie mistake, but I started to get the hang of them (the transliteration of ж is ZH which kept making me think of the Chinese "J" rather than the actual "sh"-esk sound). 

In the end, I have 40 vocab words for today and I covered the first 3 lessons of the course book. I don't know that I'm going to like the 3 genders thing in Russian, but I'm going to keep a positive outlook.

Until next time, JUST KEEP STUDYING.

No comments:

Post a Comment