Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 1 Target Language: Indonesian

Okay, since I haven't explained, let me explain. I chose Indonesian. Indonesia is the 4th most populated nation on the planet, and I heard that it's language is not that hard (from an American perspective). I decided to try to learn Indonesian because I know very little about it, but it seems like a nice place. So, I began the language with Indonesian.

Since it's Day 1, I'll start with the rules and then tell you how it went. For day one, you have to follow the rules exactly. Here's the break down of the first day of studying:

1.       Gather your materials together
2.       Read the first 2 chapters of your course book. It will give you the basic understanding you will need to proceed forward and start making sentences that work.
3.       Write in your notebook and on the flashcards all the vocabulary from those chapters
4.       Utilize hidden time to study flashcards
5.       Study flashcards before going to bed
NOTE: Do not jump ahead and open your phrase book. Not good at this time. You can study the first 5 chapters of your course book and complete days 1-3 together.


Since I had to work today, this was rough. I had to spend the last hour of my day, right before posting this entry, doing this stuff. I had to read the pronunciation guide, Lesson 1 and Lesson 2. I learned 120 new words today, which is ridiculous because I was only expecting to learn 300 over the course of the 30 days. Apparently that's not how this book wanted to start. I guess I choose a good one. (For those following along, I chose "Basic Indonesian: An introductory coursebook" from Tuttle publishing.)

Starting at the end of the day is never the best idea, but I didn't have much of a choice with work suddenly coming up after the blessing of my nephews. I really don't like when day one starts off weak, but I'll deal with it. The Harry Loraine method of "magic memory" is actually pretty awesome. ("If you like it, you can't Sue Carl"---Suka=Like.) 

Anyway, I learned about 7 grammar principles today too, so I think I'm starting strong. 

Nama Saya Scott. Saya mahasiswa di Universitas Portland State. Saya suka es jeruk. Selamat datang. Ini blog saya datang, terima kasih.

1 comment:

  1. hello scott,
    Salam dari Indonesia, blog anda bagus sekali.

    ReplyDelete